It is clear that there are many options to travel the world, some have to make a larger outlay, others, you can make them with less money but… have you ever considered traveling for free or with little money?
Today there are many options to travel the world with a very small budget, and you can even earn money while traveling. In this article, you will know some tips that will help you travel for free or with little money around the world and we will even show you some alternatives to create income while traveling.
We will break down these tips into several sections, although some of these tips for traveling for free or with little money can go into several of these sections. You will see it.
Tips for traveling for free or with little money around the world
Before the internet we could also stay for free in different destinations or paying a reduced amount, especially in some countries.
Now, thanks to the internet, dozens of alternatives have emerged to find free accommodation almost anywhere in the world. A revolution for travelers with a low budget. Below is a list with some of the alternatives to find free accommodation:
To find free or very cheap accommodation
- Couchsurfing: Surely you already know this famous network. One of the cheapest ways to stay while we are traveling. It’s about staying on the couch in other people’s houses (sometimes you’re lucky enough to have a bed). In addition to free accommodation, couchsurfers usually offer guidance on the city where you are.
- Caring for a house : It is an economical and different way of traveling the world that can take us out of more trouble and even take us to know incredible places. There are several websites where you can find this type of services.
- Airbnb : Although you have to pay for accommodation, the truth is that there are occasions where you find real bargains, so it is not bad to take a look when looking for accommodation in a destination. In addition, here you have a bonus to travel to the place you want.
- WarmShowers: It is aimed at people who travel by bike and you can find from a sofa to a bed and even camp in a garden.
- Camping: There are many places where you can camp for free. You just need to take a tent for the night. There are tents that weigh little and take up very little space and can carry them in your backpack without problem.
- House Exchange : If you have a house, apartment, apartment … It can serve you to travel the world for free. There is a website, HomeExchange , where you can exchange accommodation throughout the year.
To find accommodation and food in exchange for a few hours of work a day
- Wwoofing: It is a way of working around the world in ecological farms in exchange for accommodation and food, sometimes they also offer pocket money, but this is not usual.
- Workaway : Like Wwoofing, here you can find many places to stay in exchange for a few hours of work a day.
- Helpx: This is another of the great platforms to travel the world and stay for free. Here you can find everything from organic farms to ranches, homestays, hostels, and hostels, etc.
- Worldpackers: Similar to the previous platforms, it is a website that serves as a link between travelers and hotels, hostels, lodges and others to exchange skills for accommodation.
- Help Stay : Here you can find many options to work as a volunteer in exchange for accommodation and food.
- Hospitalityclub: Similar to Couchsurfing, it offers an international hospitality service of approximately 707,000 members in 231 countries. In addition to finding accommodation, it also offers help for travelers.
If you want to find free transportation on your trips, sometimes you have to get some creativity. However, there are some options that will put you in the easiest way.
- Hitchhiking: without a doubt, it is one of the most used options to travel for free. It works very well in some countries, in others, it may cost a little more. Patience is the key to success in traveling in this way. A trick: smile a lot and take care of your image.
- Hitchhiking in Boats: If you want to make a longer trip and cross the great blue destination to another continent, you can hitchhike by boat. It’s about going aboard a sailboat that needs a crew. Normally, you work aboard the sailboat in exchange for travel and food.
- Airplane: The options to travel by plane for free are reduced. There has been some case, although it is not usual. Of course, you can find very cheap flights if you know how to look for them.
- Use a bicycle: Have you ever considered the great possibilities of traveling on a bicycle? You will never have problems with transportation.
Eat for free
In addition to the options cited in the accommodation and food section in exchange for a few hours of work per day, there are other options for free dining.
Accept the invitations of the locals, use the coupons discounts, fairs, events, … In each country, opportunities arise. Mind you, you have to be resourceful.
Earn money while traveling
Everything is not free, although you can save a lot of money using some of the options that you will find in this article with tips for traveling for free or with little money around the world. Now, if you want to earn money while traveling, it is also possible.
Other alternatives to travel for free or with little money around the world
There are other alternatives to travel for free or with little money around the world. On many occasions, it depends on how you know how to organize and get to know the new collaborative communities that offer great advantages for travelers.
- Volunteers: They are a great option to travel to other destinations in the world for a season. There are paid volunteer programs, but there are also free and even some paid volunteer programs.
- International practices: Performing international practices will take you to travel to other destinations in the world. In addition, you gain experience, they are usually paid, there are some practices that reach up to 1000 USD, and how, they are a unique experience to live a season in another country and travel.
- Work on Yachts: Ideal if you want to sail. There is a movement known as the stopped boat that allows you to travel aboard a yacht. If you are not afraid of the big blue, this can be very interesting.
- Scholarships: Scholarships are also a good option for travel.
If you found this article interesting, share it on social networks. By the way, if you have something to add to this list, do not hesitate to leave us a comment.
Photos via Shutterstock