Houston, Texas – Jacob St. John, 19, was arrested as a suspect of trying to attract and prostituting a teenage girl of 17 years.
Officers from Precinct 5 of the Harris County Sheriff’s Office said the victim’s parents filed a report and said they were concerned after the girl left their home on Friday night, October 16. The girl’s car was later intercepted as she was on her way to meet the suspect at a motel west of Houston.
St. John was arrested at the hotel in the 2100 block of South Highway 6 and faces charges of attempted human trafficking and forcing prostitution,
The Precinct 5 office makes a series of recommendations and asks parents to take the following measures to protect their children from human traffickers :
– Establish trust and communication with your children.
– Talk with your children about the dangers posed by social media.
– Give practical security advice, such as not sharing personal information on the Internet.
– Do not accept requests on social networks from unknown people.
– Never share inappropriate photos.
– Teach the children to understand what friendship means.
– Teach them that a friend is not someone they met yesterday and that a “friend” on Facebook is not the same as a friendship.
– Monitor all online activity and cell phone use. As a parent, you may feel this is an invasion of privacy, but monitoring who your children are talking to is for your safety and protection.
– Ask and monitor anyone who has an unusual interest in your children.
– Regularly know where and with whom your children are.
– That way you will be able to identify an unknown person and determine his role in your child’s daily life.
– Educate your children about human trafficking.