Create a Podcast to generate income and Work from home or from anywhere in the world it is one of the options available today thanks to the internet. The format of podcasting has had significant growth in recent years. If any of you have considered creating a podcast to share your interests and knowledge with the world, here is a guide about how to create a podcast and generate income.
What do you need to create a podcast
Below you have all the information to create your Podcast. First of all, it will be:
Set a goal and a central theme
You can create a podcast about anything, there are even podcasts about podcasts, but it’s up to you to decide what will be your base theme and what exactly is your goal.
To know what the objective of your Podcast will be, the first thing you have to consider is if you are interested in creating a podcast aimed at highlighting your knowledge at a professional level or if you are interested in doing it as a hobbyist in your spare time.
“What can I talk about?”
This is one of the most common questions and the answer is simple: if you are going to create a podcast focused on a professional objective, then the idea is to focus on topics in your niche that can attract your target audience.
In case it is an amateur podcast, focus on that topic that entertains you the most, in which you have the most knowledge and security: Games, languages, cinema, music, history, comedy… You surely have a theme with a lot to say.
Select a format
There are many podcast formats To choose, selecting yours will depend on whether you want a podcast that you will do on your own, have the support of one or more co-organizers, conduct interviews, round table discussions or rely on a documentary-type format.
It is also possible to create a podcast that plays with different formats in each episode. In fact, this may be the best option. Some podcasts by yourself, others where you interview or talk to other people related to your topic, etc.
Define name + cover image
This part is extremely important when creating a podcast because it is the first impression that your future listeners will take. An attractive cover and name, that stands out, give some hint or generates curiosity about how your programs will be is ideal.
For the image, keep in mind that listeners will probably see a thumbnail, so try not to load it with details that later cannot be appreciated in the way they deserve. On the name side, look for something easy to remember, that can be pronounced without problems out loud, that is catchy or that communicates a particular emotion related to the topic you plan to use to create a podcast.
Tools to record
Really not too much-needed tools to create and record a podcast, it is enough to have a computer with an internet connection, a USB microphone (This is the most used microphone for Podcast) and one’s headphones rest can be expanded and renewed as time goes on and you grow with your podcast.
Recording and editing software
You will also need software that allows you to record and edit audio, on the web you will find multiple free tools to do it, some of the most popular are:
- Audacity – A free tool and very easy to use.
- Adobe Audition – Mix, edit and create audio content in Adobe Audition using a complete set of tools.
- Logic Pro X – A complete professional recording studio for the Mac with everything you need to go from the first note to the final master.
- Anchor – You can create, distribute, host and monetize your podcast, 100% free.
Once you have recorded your podcast, the next step will be to upload it to a platform so that it can be listened to. For this, there are multiple options, the ideal is to upload your Podcast to all possible to reach the largest number of people. The most popular are the following:
- Spotify: The most popular music app is a great option to upload your podcasts with the possibility of capturing many listeners per month. Who doesn’t use Spotify these days?
- Youtube: It is an ideal option, especially if your podcast is also recorded in video form, remember that you also have the option to monetize, and not only that, it is the second most visited search engine in the world so you can reach many people. If you have a Podcast, upload it to YouTube.
- Anchor: This Spotify partner platform has gained some popularity in the podcast world, and at least in the United States, it already allows its podcasters to create a podcast and monetize it.
- Google Podcast: the giant that is Google It would not be left behind in the fashion of podcasts and it is another good option to publish your content in this format.
- Apple Podcast: Being on this platform is the best way to reach users of Manzana after creating your podcast.
- Spreaker: Despite being a platform that can be monetized, it does not have as many users, however, Spreaker is associated with Spotify and allows you to easily create and distribute your own podcast.
- Soundcloud: In some countries, Soundcloud is still a pretty solid platform to host your podcast, promote it, and generate statistics on each of your episodes.
How to make money from a podcast
You already know how to create a podcast, now the question is: how to monetize a podcast? Here are several options.
Monetize directly with the platform
Several platforms we mentioned above allow you to monetize episodes (in return they insert ads and spots in some parts of the program) and/or paid subscriptions. These platforms are Anchor, Spreaker, and YouTube are some of them.
As your podcast reaches some recognition, it may be a good time to start establish alliances with sponsoring brands that will support you financially when generating content in this format, all in exchange for you reserving a space in your episodes to mention them, thank them and comment with your audience on why they are brands worth knowing.
Donation of listeners
This is one of the most common ways for the most popular podcasters to make money with a podcast. As you build a good fan base, this option will become more viable for you. Receives support from your listeners on platforms like Patreon and in return, you can give away exclusive pieces of content as a thank you.
An alternative to the sponsorship option is the wedge inclusion sporadic in some episodes. They can be generated by alliances with brands of shorter duration or for very specific actions. They are monetized based on duration and repetition.
Create a visibility platform
Especially if your podcast is mostly focused on some aspect of your professional side and you work on it as an extension of other online platforms, for example, some Blog or web store, you may not be able to monetize the podcast directly, but you can use it strategically as a bridge for your professional projects to gain visibility and you can insert some “Call to action” occasionally take listeners to your services.
You already know everything you need to know about creating a podcast and making money. Now it’s up to you to get started and start your Podcast from today, are you going for it?